Establish Principles for Constructive Team Relationships: A Powerful Tool
for Healthcare Leaders
Declaration of Interdependence: Our Guiding Principles
We, the leaders ___________________ and ____________________, in order to form a more unified, dynamic, and agile partnership, hereby declare our interdependence. In keeping with our organization’s Values, we must rely on, respect, trust and support each other in order to pursue our mission and create a successful future for our organization.
In pursuit of interdependence, we hereby abide by these principles:
- We will act as one, helping to establish common goals and common ground. We will represent all interests even when people associated with these interests are not present.
- We will deal with each other from a position of equality, regardless of entity, tenure, or title.
- We will listen to each other, valuing diverse opinion and showing open-mindedness in our efforts to make optimal decisions that build on our collective strengths.
- We will share information, since people need a shared knowledge base in order to make informed decisions for the good of the whole.
- We will be responsive to each other's needs. We will respect each other's time and make time for each other. We will answer each other's calls and mail rapidly. We will be responsive to others, regardless of entity.
- We will fulfill promises we make to each other. We will speak well of each other to both internal and external people.
- We will learn from each other, engaging in mutual inquiry and conversation.
- We will deal with conflict frontally, avoiding defensiveness and personal agendas --- all so we can achieve common ground and common goals.
- We will create an environment that fosters open exploration, fearless inquiry and debate, avoiding hostility and infighting.
- We will deal with conflict openly and directly, intervening when we see others at odds in a destructive way.
- We will work together so our total effect is greater than the sum of our individual efforts.
I recognize that I am a key member of "we". By signing this Declaration of Interdependence, I hereby pledge to live the above principles in my everyday work.
Please let our cause be known to everyone.
May the power of INTERDEPENDENCE strengthen us all!
- With your colleagues from other departments, develop your declaration. You can suggest this for your entire management team. Or, you can suggest this for the managers within your sector of the organization as a start.
- Then, be a positive role model. Ask these colleagues to tell you when you violate one of the principles, and ask if they would be willing to receive feedback as well. The idea is for healthcare leaders to help each other move to organizational thinking and decisions for the good of the whole.
Return from Declaration of Principles to Healthcare Leadership Development
Return from Declaration of Principles to Quality Patient Experience Home