Use this Tool to Drive
Hospital Patient Satisfaction:
Engage your Team in Reducing Patient Anxiety
It’s simple. Using the anxiety reduction concept to drive hospital patient satisfaction and the quality patient experience is easy to explain and easy to do. That makes it refreshing. Introduce it to your management team at a staff meeting and try it out then and there. Then, encourage managers, grounded in that success experience, to use it with their teams.
Here’s one way a manager can work with their team to spark service improvements by building on the principle of anxiety reduction:
- Map the service process for your service. What does the patient experience first, second and third?
- At each step, talk to patients and families. Find out the anxieties associated with each step in the process.
- Brainstorm ways to PREVENT anxiety that you now know to expect.
- Brainstorm ways to reduce anxiety that you can’t fully prevent.
- Two fruitful questions:
- What can a staff member say to relieve the patient or their family member’s anxiety?
- What process improvement could prevent or relieve anxiety at that step in the service process?
- Focus on execution: Build these in as a consistent, reliable part of the service.
Return from Engage Your Team in Reducing Anxiety to Hospital Patient Satisfaction
Return from Engage Your Team in Reducing Anxiety to Quality Patient Experience Home