Healthcare Leadership Development Services that Enhance the Patient Experience
Healthcare Leadership Development is essential because the quality patient experience is a matter of design. And leaders need to be the architects.
Wendy Leebov and her associates offer powerful healthcare leadership development strategies and programs that make these competencies explicit and strengthen leadership skills.
- The quality patient experience depends greatly on staff who are effective at communicating caring and compassion. So, leaders must also communicate their vision for the patient experience, serve as powerful role models and communication coaches.
- A consistently great patient experience depends on explicit high standards, ongoing feedback to guide course corrections and accountability. So, leaders must also manage employee performance with focus, vigor and persistence.
- And, going from good patient experiences to great ones require change. So, leaders must be change agents and catalysts with skills in employee engagement, handling inevitable resistance.
A variety of strategies are available, including keynotes, leadership retreats, and short- and long-term training programs with follow-up support. In every case, Wendy Leebov and Associates customize the program to the client’s specific needs and style.
Examples of our healthcare leadership development programs follow:
#1: Achieving Breakthroughs in the Patient Experience
Central to a great patient experience is patient-centered focus and compassionate communication. This session mobilizes healthcare leaders to pursue breakthroughs by instituting high-impact processes and communication skills.
#2: Patient Experience Skillshop:
- Five principles key to breakthroughs
- Best practices grounded in these principles
- How to focus in the midst of many strategy options and competing priorities
Leading the Way from Good to GREAT!
Learn specific ways to take service to a new level of excellence with your team by design.
#3: Leadership Skillshop on Accountability
- How to articulate your personal commitment and vision for the great patient/customer experience
- How to go from good to GREAT in everyday encounters: Greetings, Handoffs and Goodbyes
- How to go from good to GREAT by designing ways to reduce customer anxiety
- How to engage your team in key words design and mastery---and deal with resistance to standardized language
Elevating Performance: How to Raise the Bar
Accountability issues plague and weaken patient satisfaction strategies. To achieve breakthroughs in the patient experience, we not only need to stop the erosion of our standards that occurs when we tolerate behavior violations. We also need to establish, communicate and enforce higher standards that will move us from good to consistently GREAT. In this session, Wendy Leebov describes what it takes to raise the bar on employee performance once and for all. She illuminates the leader’s key roles in accountability and shares concrete tools you can use to move your employees to a higher level with clarity, courage, and conviction. Available from Wendy via live webinar. On-site training conducted by Jill Golde, M.A.
#4: Leadership Skillshop on Dealing with Difficult Situations
- How to resolve your mixed feelings about raising your expectations
- How to identify the higher expectations you want to set for your team
- How to communicate new, higher expectations effectively
- How to provide caring performance feedback in a way most likely to be heard
- How to hold focused coaching conversations with high, middle and low performers
- How to handle employee resistance, alibis and excuses with backbone and heart
When employees view people as difficult and act with anger or defensiveness, this may trigger inappropriate responses that result in a frustrating outcome for the patient as well as the staff member. This session equips managers with the fine points of dealing with difficult situations with patients, families and coworkers and helps managers prepare to develop their teams to handle difficult customer situations more effectively.
#5: Leadership Skillshop:
- The powerful Heart-Head-Heart Model for handling challenging patient and family behavior
- How to apply Caring Communication Skills to difficult situations
- Hands-on practice with everyday scenarios
- The basics of Service Recovery and how to help your team handle complaints in a way that turns dissatisfaction into satisfaction
Anxiety Reduction -- Turning the Key to the Great Patient Experience
Different from other service business whose customers are willing customers, health care organizations need to help our customers manage their rampant anxiety about their health, their experience with us and their future. This skillshop focuses leaders on the power of anxiety reduction to drive significant improvements in the patient experience.
#6: Leadership Skillshop:
- The critical shift from “making people happy” to reducing their anxiety
- The powerful “Transporter Simulation” (if session length permits it)
- How to engage your team to:
- Identify the anxieties of the people they serve
- Plan their routine communication (with key words or scripts) so that they proactively address people’s likely anxieties
- Notice clues that their customer is anxious
- Use Caring Communication Skills to respond to people’s anxiety with sensitivity, tact and compassion
Impressive Service -- Reaching the Next Level by Design
As we move from the service economy to the experience economy, patients/customers want extraordinary experiences in their interactions with healthcare organizations and people. This program helps managers to become “producers” of great service performances and to engage their teams in creating WOW experiences for patients consistently. It helps manages lead their teams beyond awareness to everyday, habitual execution of redesigned service practices.
#7: Leadership Skillshop:
- Manager as “producer” of impressive service experiences
- How to use service mapping to design customer-oriented, compassionate communication into everyday situations
- Effective scripting: How to reintroduce scripting and reduce the resistance
- How to engage staff in script development and mastery
- How to raise expectations and coach staff to provide impressive service performances
- A terrific toolkit ---with script formats, practice exercises and GREAT examples
Fostering Emotional Support -- For Clinical Managers
“Emotional support” is among the top correlates with overall patient satisfaction. This breakout session for clinical managers identifies, demonstrates and provides tools to develop staff communication skills that affect patient and family experiences and their perceptions of emotional support.
To discuss your healthcare leadership development priorities and learn how we can help,
- Briefing on advanced customer service skills that strengthen emotional support
- How to develop caregivers using a phased one-skill-at-a-time approach
- A terrific toolkit. Quick connecting with the customer, how to adjust patient/family expectations, how to practice “presence,” open-ended questioning to get patients talking, the Heart-to-Heart, Head-to-Head Communication Model, and speaking the language of empathy.
Return to Healthcare Leadership Development
Return to Patient Experience Skill Training
Return to Quality Patient Experience Home